Instead of the usual sour cream or yoghurt dip, why not try something different. Using the proportions of the basic (1 tablespoon Bittersweet Blend to 1 cup dairy product) party dip recipe (as above) substitute the dairy product for one suggested below.
Different Party Dip Bases
- Cooked and mashed eggplant
- mashed chickpeas, cannellini (butter beans), kidney beans or cooked lentils
- Salmon or tuna, mashed
- Avocado, mashed
- Cook and whizz green beans or peas
- Tofu, use silky
- Different Dairy (try low fat where available): ricotta, quarg, cottage cheese, reduced cream or crème freche
Different Additions to Party Dips
- Diced red, green and/or yellow peppers (raw or roasted)
- Minced red onion
- Chopped black or green olives
- Lots of coarsely ground black pepper
- Chopped and toasted almonds, sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- Chopped pistachios, walnuts, pecans or peanuts
- Rinse, refresh, and dry a tin of 4 Beans (in brine)
- To one-cup party dip add ¼ cup grated Parmesan or tasty cheese
- One tablespoon mashed, roasted garlic to one cup of dip
- Dash of soy, Hosin, Worcestershire, Tabasco sauces (or Bittersweet Cajun or Chili to add heat to savoury flavours), or mustard (dry or prepared - each mustard will create a different result)
- All kinds of vegetables: carrots, celery, spring onions, courgettes, cucumbers, broccoli, capsicum strips, and cauliflower florets, slightly steamed green beans, or snow peas, or…
- • Cooked and chilled tortellini (cut in half?)
- • Bread sticks
- • Cooked prawns
- • Surimi pieces on toothpicks
- • Bok choy, Shanghi or endive leaves
- • Radish slices
- • Cooked artichoke leaves
- • Small mushrooms or mushroom slices
Uses for Leftover Dairy Party Dips:
- • Mix with vinegar or lemon juice for salad dressings, marinades or coatings.
- • Mix with mashed potatoes instead of milk and butter (great potato pancakes).
- • Use as you would tomato or tartare sauce.
- • Garnish soups. Us a good dessertspoonful and swirl in each bowl of soup.
- • Add grated cheese, spread on bread slice and grill.
- • In bread making – use yoghurt bread recipe, substitute dip.
- • Dips (sour cream or cream cheese) are a more flavourful sandwich spread than mayonnaise. Substitute low fat yoghurt for sour cream or cream cheese and get lots of flavour and fewer calories.